March 29

Minecraft isn’t learning…………. is it?

Oh yes it is!!!!

This term we are using Minecraft in class to create 3D digital models of what our school has changed over the last 150 years. It is our 150th celebration this Easter Weekend.

To showcase our work we are going to use AppleTV to cast from the ipads to the class digital whiteboard. Our teacher Mr Brown says we have never been so engaged in our learning. Some of us are even continuing our work AT HOME IN OUR OWN TIME!!!! WHAT THE?????

Any our teacher is dancing around the classroom singing “21ST CENTURY LEARNIIIIIIIIIIIIIIING!!!!!”

He is a bit odd, but hey at least he is excited. And so are we. Co-operation, problem solving, digital learning. Room 6 is buzzing with it all. Here are some pics.

Posted March 29, 2017 by brownstuff in category Uncategorized

17 thoughts on “Minecraft isn’t learning…………. is it?

1. Justin

Hi! room 6 I really like your minecraft is int learning post because minecraft is learning and minecraft is int learning. That would be really cool because it will be cool to build your stuff in a game. It would make it much easier for learning and have you ever caught your kids playing around on minecraft?

Reply
  2. Delina

Hi Papakaio school I am Delina and I am in room 3, I go to Kawakawa primary school. I’ve got to ask what is a 150 year celebration?

Reply
    1. brownstuff (Post author)

Hi Delina, it means that our school has been open for 150 years. Its a pretty long time. So we are celebrating the 150th birthday at Easter.

Reply
  3. arrowk17

Hi, I am Arrow and I go to Oamaru Intermediate. I had never thought of using minecraft for learning particularly because most people use it as a game. Did the children enjoy using it and did it work out as planned? I hope the result was good and that they all had fun.
    -Arrow

Reply
  4. Ryan Carlyon

Hi I’m Ryan from OIS Room 5 do you guys still have to do normal work like writing and reading

Reply
    1. brownstuff (Post author)

Hi, thanks for your comment. Yes I do make them do regular work too. But I am trying to make things as fun and engaging as possible. What do you think of minecraft as a tool for showing your learning Ryan?

Reply
    1. brownstuff (Post author)

We have only used it once so far but our teacher is looking into how he can integrate it into our regular studies. If we get time this term we are going to create models of the layers of the earth

Reply
  5. ameliaw17

Hi I’m Amelia from Oamaru intermediate school. This sound like a really fun way to learn!It would be a nice change to maths and writing!

Reply
  6. hayleys17

Hi my name is Hayley I’m from Oamaru Intermediate School and I think that’s its really cool to play mind craft, sounds like a cool idea for learning.:)

Reply
  7. bobbie-Jo

Hi my name is Bobbie-Jo from Kawakawa primary school. I agree with your statement. I think that mine craft is not a great idea for a learning tool.

Reply
  8. Waiheke

Hi my name is Waiheke from Kawakawa primary school . are you guy making model of your school you are wow that’s so cool .
    I made a high school once it’s so big I got lost in it. but any ways it looks cool.

Reply