June 9

Speech Finals

Our Year 7/8 speech finals were held today. The standard of speeches was absolutely incredible (better than any year before) and the range of topics was as diverse as ever before. We had people speaking on topics as wide ranging as palm oil production, alternative energy sources, which side of the road to drive on, war, smoking, uniforms, extra-curricular activities, zoos, screen time dangerous dogs and even the Auckland housing crisis. But the winning speech came from Leyanne Monoy who delivered a thought provoking, well written and impeccably delivered speech on of the dangers of forestation. Congratulations Leyanne, and well done to everyone on what was a hugely successful day. I am so proud of you all.

Leyanne Monoy. First place Year 7/8 Speech contest

Left to right Thomas Kane (highly commended) Marcus Herrera (2nd place) Leyanne Monoy (1st place) Maddi Hamilton (3rd place) and Emba Willans (highly commended)

Posted June 9, 2016 by brownstuff in category Uncategorized

13 thoughts on “Speech Finals

1. imanis16

Hi i’m Imani from O.I.S
    well done leyanne and all the others that had a go,we have to do speeches in term 3!
    do you know why your speeches are so early in the year?
    do you have another big event coming up, we have house choirs coming up on Friday

Reply
    1. brownstuff (Post author)

Hi Imani, thanks for your comment. In answer to your question we have speeches in term 2 because the Rural Schools Speech Competition is on at he end of June. We don’t do House Choirs here but they sound like such fun. Do your teachers sing as well? They really should. Especially Mrs. Campbell. She won’t tell you but she is actually a better singer than Miss Hall. You should get her to sing to the class. She is amazing.

Reply
  2. Waekamania

Kiaora my name is Waekamania and I’m from Kawakawa primary school. Well done leyanne and all those others that tried there best.You should put some more stuff up about sports because I like them.

Reply
    1. brownstuff (Post author)

Thanks for the tip Waekamania. We will try and get some spots up for you soon 🙂

Reply
  3. Gracie

Hi I’m Gracie from OIS,
    Well Done to those people. I was wondering did everyone have to write their own speeches or did you get help from teachers? Do some years you get to say poems as well? because poems are super fun to recite.
    I hope you go well in the Rural Schools Speech competition.
    From Gracie

Reply
    1. brownstuff (Post author)

Hi Gracie, yes everyone did have to write their own speech and as a result there was a really great range. The kids in the younger classes do recite poems and they are fun to listen to as well as recite but in the senior class we have to do a proper speech.

Reply
  4. kawa

Hi my name is Kawa from Kawakawa Primary School and id just like to say well done layenne for winning the speech finals and
    well done to the kids who tryed.

Reply
  5. Awatea

Hi my name is Awatea from Kawakawa primary school. I like those pictures that the teacher took or student took. Congratulations Leyanne for that trophy and well done to everyone on what was a hugely successful day.

Reply
  6. gracef16

Hello my name is Grace I am from O.I.S Rm 5 .congratulations to all the winners. Leyanne were you scared to do your speech ?

Reply
  7. Waiheke

Hi I’m Waiheke from
    Kawakawa primary school Room 3
    How did you guys win did you win it
    on running or swimming or on olympics.

Reply
  8. bobbie-Jo

Hi my name is Bobbie-Jo and I am a year 7 at Kawakawa primary school. Well done leyanne I really wish that I was there because that looks interesting. Did you like it there?

Reply